RE: Trying to right-align my window on startup

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Trying to right-align my window on startup
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 13:04:58 -0800 (PST)

> > > Sheesh.  Just use `M-x customize-option default-frame-alist'.
> >
> > Sheesh, why do you care how I set up my Emacs?
>
> Agreed.  Just out of curiosity: am I the only one who *hates* when
> someone or something (including M-x customize) messes up with *my*
> init.el? ;)

Use variable `custom-file'.  That's what it's for.  The only thing
that messes with my init file is me.

But that does not mean that I don't take advantage of Customize's
type-checking, `:set' and `:initialize' trigger actions, etc.

This too is a common misconception about Customize.  It is _you_
who invites Customize to mess with your init file, if you don't
use `custom-file'.  Don't blame Customize for that.

(You might blame Emacs design for even letting Customize do that,
and not just raising an error if `custom-file' is not defined as
a writable file.  IOW, a design bug, so far.)