DocView doesn't render PDFs

From: kete
Subject: DocView doesn't render PDFs
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:27:16 -0500

Hello,
To skip my distro's old Emacs 23, I built Emacs from GSRC (GNU Source
Release Collection). I am using Trisquel which is based on Ubuntu 12.04
LTS (Precise Pangolin). I prefixed to /usr/local/gnu instead of /gnu,
and I changed the order of some of the $PATH or $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variables to keep parts of GNOME visible (unlike these
ons--http://www.gnu.org/software/gsrc/manual/gsrc.html#Getting-started).

When I try to find a PDF file, I only see the jibberish code or binary
inside the file (screenshot attached), and DocView does not
automatically start. On manual start, it says it cannot render the file.
When I execute ghostscript on the file from dired, I see a small window
generate each page of the PDF and then disappear.

Also, I just found out I can't see a jpeg image.