Emacs highlighted region expanding with scrollbar movement

From: Raimund Steger
Subject: Emacs highlighted region expanding with scrollbar movement
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:46:43 +0100

Hi,

I've only recently upgraded to Emacs 24 (GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-pc-solaris2.11, Motif Version 2.1.0)). Before, I used Emacs 22 for the most part, but also Emacs 23 (briefly) in some environments.

I noticed that apparently starting with Emacs 23, the highlighted region behaves differently when dragging the scrollbar handle with the mouse. As the highlighted region moves out of the visible area of the window, the highlighting is suddenly expanded to follow the point. This means it is not possible anymore to leave something highlighted and pan around in the file at the same time.

I have transient-mark-mode turned off, but changing its value does not change the described behavior. Also, it is reproducible with 'emacs -Q' and seems to happen for GTK builds as well.

Is there some way to turn this off? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks a lot,
Raimund