Re: Emacs highlighted region expanding with scrollbar movement

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Emacs highlighted region expanding with scrollbar movement
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:38:48 +0100

Am 22.02.2014 12:46, schrieb Raimund Steger:
Hi,

I've only recently upgraded to Emacs 24 (GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-pc-solaris2.11,
Motif Version 2.1.0)). Before, I used Emacs 22 for the most part, but also
Emacs 23
(briefly) in some environments.

I noticed that apparently starting with Emacs 23, the highlighted region
behaves differently when dragging the scrollbar handle with the mouse. As the
highlighted region
moves out of the visible area of the window, the highlighting is suddenly
expanded to follow the point. This means it is not possible anymore to leave
something highlighted
and pan around in the file at the same time.

I have transient-mark-mode turned off, but changing its value does not change
the described behavior. Also, it is reproducible with 'emacs -Q' and seems to
happen for GTK
builds as well.

Is there some way to turn this off? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks a lot,
Raimund

May confirm this behavior with Emacs 24.3.50.1. of 2013-07-06

Would call it focus-follows-scroll

I.e. if region-end is expected to be scrolled downward out of sight, cursor
will remain at first line and thus expanding the region.

Would suggest a feature request, which would mean: no visible cursor displayed
in this case.