Re: SSH URL

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: SSH URL
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 08:38:54 +0200

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

>> Tramp has denied to add passwords to the file name syntax so far, for
>> security reasons. I don't believe that I would like to change this policy.
>
> Is there any way I could get around this?

Yesterday, during a boring hour, I've added some glue code to
url-handlers.el. Didn't look bad, when I've tested in *scratch*

(progn
  (url-handler-mode 1)
  (insert-directory "ssh:///" "-al" nil 'full))

For the password thing, you could use Tramp's password caching
mechanism. Or you could add an entry to .authinfo; Tramp uses
auth-source.el if appropriate.

> I have a specific use case where this would save me lots of time and the
> security aspects are nothing I worry about.
>
> These are ssh urls to restricted accounts for websites.
>
> I basically want to just follow the url and be logged into the site, do
> my thing and get out.

I have no idea what you mean with this. Could you give me an example of
what you're doing, usually?

Best regards, Michael.