Re: When/where does setq work?

From: Florian v. Savigny
Subject: Re: When/where does setq work?
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 19:02:19 -0400

Hi Rusi,

  > org-export-html-style is an org-mode variable defined in org-html.el.
  >
  > Its 'effect' is the css styles that are used by org's html export
  >
  > eg
  > code {
  >     color: #00f;
  > }
  >
  > makes the color of code in <code> </code> blocks blue
  >
  > Now I edit my-org.css
  >
  > code {
  >     color: #7f7f7f
  > }
  >
  > (ie the new color is now grey)

But at this point you run your load-my-css, don't you?

  > And I export the (some) org file I am working on.
  > It still shows as blue.
  > This is what I mean by "no effect"

This is the kind of scenario that we were hinting at: Chances are that
there are simply some added layers of complexity between the variable
and its effect (for whatever technological reason - as humans, we find
this counterintuitive). Example: When loaded, org-html.el sets a
variable to the value of org-export-html-style. (In that case,
reloading org-html.el after running load-my-css should have the same
effect as restarting emacs.)  But this is just an example for
illustration. It is better to simply try:

C-h v org-export-html-style

after running load-my-css as I have indicated above. My guess is it's
perfectly set to the new value then. If not, try the edebug-defun
method and report, please.

Regards,

Florian

--