customising a theme?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: customising a theme?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 10:56:50 +0100

During my time working with emacs I have tried many themes to find my 'ideal
theme', which sometimes seems to change almost everyday. Currently, it is
"firebelly", except it has several shortcomings -

 * when you highlight text, it is unreadable due to it being the same colour
as the background, so it is very hard to highlight anything.
 * TODO items with *** are very indistinct, so faded that it is almost the
 same colour as the background.
 * anything that is commented out is extremely dim and faded, and difficult to
 read.

I use the following key-bindings to help in choosing and disabling a theme -
(global-set-key (kbd "<f11>") 'disable-theme)
(global-set-key (kbd "<f12>") 'load-theme)

How then can I use this theme with its shortcomings? Is there a better theme
with similar properties?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.1