RE: Frame numbering

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Frame numbering
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:07:52 -0700 (PDT)

> Is there an easy way to have numbered frames in Emacs? I guess, I'd like to
> setup my environment similar to what screen/tmux offer. I've found
> elscreen, but after using it for a while, I find it more of a distraction
> rather than an aid.
>
> Like with Tmux or screen, I can do C-b (or C-a) and then a number and it
> will switch to that screen/tmux pane. I think it COULD be possible with
> Emacs, but I don't know how to do it.
>
> Any advice or suggestions?

This might be some help, though it does not seem to be exactly what you
are requesting.

1. `C-x 5 o' cycles among the available frames.  This is true even if you
use Emacs in a terminal (i.e., without a graphic display) - see the Emacs
manual, node `Non-Window Terminals'.

2. Command `select-frame-by-name' raises and selects a frame by name,
providing completion.  Again, this works also without a graphic display.
Frame names in a terminal are simple by default: FN1, FN2, etc.
Bind the command to a key, e.g., `C-a' as you suggested.  Then
`C-a TAB 3' takes you to frame FN3.