themes not behaving themselves.

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: themes not behaving themselves.
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 07:32:02 +0100

I have this strange problem in that if I load a theme with a dark background,
such as "clues" or "soft-charcoal", or such like, it colours the line numbers
and the line the cursor is on, leaving a darkened edging round the whole
buffer! Inside the darkened edging it is "wheat-coloured", probably because
I've been using the "wheat" theme. And if I unload the wheat theme, the buffer
background stays the same with only very slight changes to the foreground,
like highlighting text is the same colour as the rest of the line, or in
other words, you can't see what you're highlighting! If I totally comment out
all load-lines for themes and restart emacs, I still get the wheat-coloured
background with slight changes in the foreground!

How do I get back to being able to load and try out new, to me at least,
themes please? And how do I get the default theme back please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.50.14