Re: Error message: 'Quit: "empty or unsupported pasteboard type"

From: Jon Oddie
Subject: Re: Error message: 'Quit: "empty or unsupported pasteboard type"
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:18:26 -0700

> Emacs is suddenly complaining when I kill a line in any mode.  Not
> only does it complain when killing the line, but it will not yank
> after the line is killed.

I have seen the same (or a very similar) problem on OS X too, after
setting `save-interprogram-paste-before-kill' to `t'.

It happens when nothing else has used the system clipboard yet, so I
generally saw it when Emacs is the first program used after login.
The issue seems to be that `ns-get-pasteboard', or rather the C subr
`ns-get-selection-internal' which it calls, raises a quit condition
instead of returning nil under these circumstances.  I don't know if
this is by design, but I have the following snippet in my init.el as a
workaround.  It converts the quit condition into a nil return value:

(when (eq window-system 'ns)
  (defadvice ns-get-pasteboard (around hack-empty-pasteboard compile activate)
    (condition-case err
        ad-do-it
      (quit (message "%s" (cadr err))
            nil))))

Should I raise a proper bug report for this?