Re: Why aren't `find`, `find-if`, `remove-if` part of Emacs Lisp?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why aren't `find`, `find-if`, `remove-if` part of Emacs Lisp?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 09:46:08 -0400

> I think the issue with CL.el is it was castigated in the official manual
> too early.  It isn't bloated by any standard today.  There are many things
> in emacs that do less with more mess and bloat.

Part of the issue was bloat, but another part was that cl.el was
developed as an independent add-on (i.e. under the assumption that the
rest of Emacs couldn't be changed, such as byte-compiler, macroexpander,
...), so it had to use pretty ugly hacks (whose effects could affect
(apparently) completely unrelated code) to implement some of its
features.  Over time, some of the needed infrastructure was added to
core Elisp, so the cl.el implementation gradually became cleaner.

The current cl-lib.el still has a couple of ugly hacks, but fairly few
and their effect should be reasonably confined to code that uses them.

        Stefan