Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:30:42 +0300

> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 23:48:52 +0700
> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> >> To switch buffers efficiently, I need a visual representation of their
> >> relative order
> >
> > AFAIK, each frame orders the buffers separately, so I don't see why
> > you would have a problem here.
>
> The problem here is that I need to see the list before I start pressing keys.

Only if there are a lot of them.  Keep your frames project-specific,
and there won't be too many of them you'll need to remember.  E.g.,
with programming projects, I normally switch to a buffer via some
tags-related command, so I don't even need to remember the buffer
name.  And if I need to switch to a buffer visiting a specific source
file, then I know that buffer's name by definition.  Etc. etc.

> The workflow with C-x b is: fingers press C-x b, eyes see the default
> next buffer, brain tests if that’s the right one.

A frame can display more than a single buffer, so you don't need to
switch buffers so frequently.  And when you do switch, even if you do
that with "C-x b", chances are it's the buffer displayed previously in
the same window, so no such complex procedure is needed.  I usually
just press "C-x b RET" without even looking.

> The cognitive load (roughly, the number of eyes-brain-fingers
> roundtrips) is much worse in the second case as the operations cannot
> be done concurrently.

Granted, you are happy with your workflow, as much as I'm happy with
mine (for many years now).  You asked me how do I manage my buffers,
and I told you.  We don't need to prove each other that the other's
workflow is worse.