Re: Whats wrong with this defcustom?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Whats wrong with this defcustom?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 02:32:30 +0100

> Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:
>
>>> () Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> ()
>>> Tue, 29 Jul 2014 01:46:10 +0100 '(something) is just
>>> an abbreviation for (quote something). This is not
>>> correct. '(something) ≡ (quote (something)) which
>>> evals to a list of one element, the symbol
>>> ‘something’ i.e., => (something)
>>
>> I agree, you're right.
>
> I think you meant 'something is equal to (quote
> something)? Because it is, right?

What you quote above is mostly what Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote.  He used ≡
which means "equivalent to" or "identical to".

The lisp reader translates '(foo bar) into (quote (foo bar)) which is
evaluated.  The quote special form doesn't evaluate it's argument.  So,
evaluating it produces "(foo bar)".  I wrote "returned" because quote is
rather like a function that's called and returns something.  (And in an
interpreter that's a recursive evaluator it may be done by a function
return.)

Equality is something else, as you've found.

BR,
Robert Thorpe