problem with https and w3-fetch ... sometimes

From: prayner
Subject: problem with https and w3-fetch ... sometimes
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 21:33:56 +1000

Quite recently my access to google searches using emacs/w3 has broken.
This is using the emacspeak auditory feedback package but I don't
believe the problem is there.
If I run w3-fetch on the following url
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=%3E+lequere+2014+earth+system+data&num=25
I get an incomplete web page (no results) and a warning from gnutls
that the connection was improperly terminated. If I feed the same url
to google-chrome or firefox I get the complete page.
I think I've chased this down to tls.el so I suspect something has
changed in gnutls-cli.
This is with emacs 24.3.1 and gnutls 3.1.25
Can anyone suggest routes to debugging this?
please reply directly as well as to the group.
thanks in advance
Peter
--
Peter Rayner