Re: Feature request: Expose system `exec` as a built-in elisp function

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Feature request: Expose system `exec` as a built-in elisp function
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 05:23:19 -0400

In article <mailman.7080.1407966184.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eh, what if you don't want the second emacs call to use the same emacs
> configuration, etc. etc. as the parent emacs process?

I'm not sure why you'd want different Emacs configuration just for that
one task (couldn't you just put that buffer in an appropriate major
mode?), but to each his own.

But you still haven't answered: why should editing the cask files in a
new Emacs instance require replacing the original Emacs instance,
instead of running both of them concurrently? This "exec" operation will
need to perform all the actions done during kill-emacs, like asking
about saving modified buffers, killing running processes, etc.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA