Re: rmail

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: rmail
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 15:06:33 +0100

"visaris tds.net" <visaris@tds.net> writes:

> I now understand that my problems began with exim (my MTA)  Hopefully the
> exim related problems have been sorted.
>
> It seems my movemail problems have likewise subsided.
>
> M-x rmail now fectches mail from the mailbox /var/spool/mail/visaris which
> exim maintains (I don't have to push bits around myself anylonger),
> however...

It's best to do it that way.  Your old way was clever, but taking stuff
from the input queue probably won't be reliable long-term.  Future Exim
versions might change the input queue format.

> Instead of simply showing me my messages, emacs evidently executes them in
> the sense that something automagicly causes a new buffer to appear which
> seems to be a reply-to-message buffer with To and From fields filled in
> (and I get beeps from the PC speaker).
>
> The above happens only with some messages, which leads me to believe that
> something about a particular message causes code to be executed.
>
> Is this a "feature"?  How do I tell emacs that it please should refrain
> from automagicly executing code on behalf of email messages!!!

Rmail has never done that to me.  Like Eli said I think it's likely to
be something in your init file doing it.  Do you have any bits of code
that are from keyboard macros?  I.e. code from insert-kbd-macro?  It can
do that kind of thing.

BR,
Robert Thorpe