Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 23:45:31 +0200

Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe you can try to use xsel. The way I use is below:
>
> ;; use xsel to copy/paste in emacs-nox
> (unless window-system
>   (when (getenv "DISPLAY")
>       (defun xsel-cut-function (text &optional push)
>         (with-temp-buffer
>               (insert text)
>               (call-process-region (point-min) (point-max) "xsel" nil 0 nil
> "--clipboar=
> d" "--input")))
>       (defun xsel-paste-function()
>         (let ((xsel-output (shell-command-to-string "xsel --clipboard
> --output")=
> ))
>               (unless (string=3D (car kill-ring) xsel-output)
>                 xsel-output )))
>       (setq interprogram-cut-function 'xsel-cut-function)
>       (setq interprogram-paste-function 'xsel-paste-function)
>       ))

Amazing! I have almost the same, also based on xsel. I
made it into a package [1], but then I learned another
guy had submitted a package to ELPA, only based on
xclip (which I first used, but dropped for some reason
in favor of xsel).

So I never submitted it, but perhaps I still will.

Both xsel and xclip are in the repositories for Debian
and surely for Ubuntu as well (if you are using Unity,
I mean).

Also, if you are using tmux, I wrote some code [2] so
that you can insert what you kill in tmux into an Emacs
buffer. The Emacs kill-yank keys are at work by default
in tmux, I think, but tmux requires a little love [3]
to write the killed region to a file, which is then
inserted from Emacs.

Good luck!

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/xsel.el
[2] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/linux-shell.el