Re: Redirecting the output of a commend in "shell" into a buffer

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Redirecting the output of a commend in "shell" into a buffer
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:35:36 +0200

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, While using shell, is it possible to redirect
> output of commands into a buffer? Ofcourse, the shell
> buffer itself is editable and all but it would be
> nice if I could directly pipe the output of a command
> into a new buffer. Regards, Kashyap

Are you using the Emacs shell (within Emacs) or some
other shell (bash, zsh) outside of Emacs?

If you are in Emacs all along what you want already
happens, and can be setup for specific purposes with
some creativity.

But I suspect you want this from outside of Emacs, in
what case a poor man's solution is redirecting the
output to a certain file; in Emacs, setup a keystroke
to open a buffer from that file. (That is fast, if you
have a shortcut to go from the shell to Emacs as well.)

Otherwise, for the full-power solution, you must use
IPC (perhaps a "named pipe" or FIFO) or Emacs as a
server:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Emacs-Server.html

I can't help you as I never did that, but if you get it
right, be sure to tell us how you did it!

Good luck!

--
underground experts united