Help needed with post-command-hook

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Help needed with post-command-hook
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:37:39 +0200

Hi List,

I have three questions wrt `post-command-hook':

 - Is `post-command-hook' triggered when an interactive function is
   called non-interactively?

 - If not, what would be the equivalent hook for `funcall`, i.e. the
   Emacs 'post-funcall-hook'? I could not find one. Many functions
   change or insert, but some just move point, so using a post change or
   post insert hook would not cover all cases (or would moving point
   trigger a post change hook?).

 - When is `post-command-hook' triggered? When I (e.g.)
   `call-interactively' an Org command in a temporary Org-mode buffer,
   and a function that exits that temp-buffer was added to the local
   `post-command-hook', I would expect that once the Org command is
   done that 'exit' function is called. But instead the temp buffer
   still sits there, and its my next user action (e.g. typing C-n) that
   then triggers the hook and calls the 'exit' function. So it seems
   `post-command-hook' is triggered when another command is called, not
   when current command returns control?

--
cheers,
Thorsten