newsticker customization surprises

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: newsticker customization surprises
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 15:52:25 -0400 (EDT)

I enabled slashdot freshmeat wired and quoteoftheday news feeds as
pre-packaged with newsticker in latest version of emacs.  All feeds failed
since they've been redirected and newsticker hasn't got update capability
for its feeds either.  The one good thing about newsticker is unlike canto
it does not hold cursors hostage at the bottom of the screen once opened.
After this, it's time to delete urls from newsticker except for emacswiki
which does offer a readable feed from newsticker then go search out feeds
at current addresses and add those and see if they'll work.  If any
redirect handling for newsticker is done, I recommend first have
newsticker go to the redirect url and validate the url.  No articles
probably means bogus or inactive feed.  1 or more articles should cause
newsticker to let the user know the original name of the feed; the
redirected name of the feed, the article count newsticker has accessed,
then ask the users permission to update that old feed with the redirected
feed.  I think that would be a reasonable approach for handling redirects
in rss news readers generally and in newsticker specifically.  Maybe
newsticker can already do this and it's somewhere in the customizations
but I haven't go down that far yet.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>