[OT] An interchange with a student

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: [OT] An interchange with a student
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 19:14:08 +0200

Hi all,

this is rather off-topic, but...

I teach an introductory course in mathematics for first year (= right
after the high school, usually) students of computer science (something
like a "precalculus" with elements of logic, set theory, probability
etc.).  I was talking with the students about programming languages, and
(after I expressed my opinion about Java;-)) I was asked what language
is better.  When I answered "Lisp", I had a (more or less) following
interchange with one of the students:

S: You mean Scheme or some other Lisp?
Me: It doesn't matter that much, though Scheme is not the best one.
What Lisp do you know?
S: A bit of Common Lisp.
Me: Wow.  And do you know about macros?
S: Yes, of course.
Me: Wow!  Who taught you Lisp?!
S: The internet.
Me: And what have you read?
S: "Practical Common Lisp".

After some time, when I expressed my opinion about the abomination which
is a computer mouse (as opposed to good ol' keyboard interfaces), the
very same student asked me whether I use Emacs.

How cool is that?

(I know this is only tangentially on-topic, but I just had to share this
with someone;-).  And the sad part of the story is that I know /nobody/
in RL who would appreciate it...)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski