Re: Emacs for Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs for Windows
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 09:43:20 +0300

> From: E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com>
> Cc: haroogan@gmail.com, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 21:38:57 +0100
>
> I recall trying to get GIT (which comes with it's own mini posix
> environment), ack-grep (not part of cygwin, and requiring a windows version
> of perl), SSH (I think from cygwin) to get along, while trying to keep thing
> like find-dired and find-grep working.

None of that is a problem for me.  Instead of SSH, I suggest plink
from PuTTY (which Tramp supports out of the box), and the "mini posix
environment" that comes with GIT, which are MSYS programs, is
available in native MinGW ports from GnuWin32.

So, while the initial setup does takes some effort, it is not too hard
and doesn't require anything except unzipping a bunch of archives and
setting up PATH.