Re: Emacs for Windows

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs for Windows
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:41:39 +0200

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> First, even the above is not a large list.  Second, I think you
>> exaggerate a little bit (e.g., GnuWin32 didn't see any new versions
>> since 2010, so no need to watch them anymore.  MinGW/MSYS and PuTTY
>> are likewise very seldomly updated.
>
> Yes, that's why I practically never check them. If there's a security
> update, or a nice new feature, I probably won't notice. Or what about
> the latest bash security problem? I actually don't know how many
> bash.exe I have on my Windows system in need of an update.

MSYS2: pacman -Syu

> Oh, and don't get me started on MsysGit shipping its own MSYS
> environment, which is oh-so-slightly incompatible to the one from MSYS
> itself, leading to weird errors when you accidentally mix them, which
> can easily happen since you usually have both in PATH.

MSYS2 has not this problem. Just put Git at the end of PATH and it will
work fine from MSYS2 shell (or Emacs).

> I'd love to have *one* central MSYS which other packages could depend
> on.

MSYS2 provides a Posix-y buid of Git and a native one is on the works.

As the ice on the cake, the time required for setting up an enviromnent
for building a Windows native Emacs on MSYS2 is determined by your
Internet connection. Everything is there, up to date, one command away.