Re: HOWTO: lightning fast Emacs on Linux multicore

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: HOWTO: lightning fast Emacs on Linux multicore
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 20:26:29 +0100

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Sounds cool! How much does it impact the power
> consumption?

Ha ha, power consumption? No idea... I never tried it
on a laptop so it isn't an issue for me, but feel
unrestricted to find out yourself, of course.

If you limit all processes to one core, and Emacs to
the other, that should mean Emacs runs faster, because
of less competition for that CPU (core), and the other
processes will run slower, by the same logic.

Emacs should be faster unless Emacs makes use of those
other processes, or if those other processes slow down
the entire system somehow by not getting enough CPU
(perhaps they start obstruct the memory or whatever).
I don't know what other processes people typically
have in the background, mine aren't any fancy. It
should definitely work for point movements and typing
and such, probably for most things I do actually. Mine
feels faster indeed.

> BTW, it might be more reasonable to dedicate a core
> to the web browser (at least in my case, this, not
> Emacs, is the performance bottleneck). Or to LaTeX
> and/or evince. ;-)

Yeah, you can do all that in Emacs of course, but in
general, I don't think you should use this to
eliminate bottlenecks, or yeah, you can actually do
that as well (good idea), my idea was rather to boost
the interactive feel of Emacs. If you have more than
two cores, perhaps eight or whatever, you can have one
core for each major application and then have the rest
distribute freely over those that remains. I think
that would be ... fast.

--
underground experts united