Re: HOWTO: lightning fast Emacs on Linux multicore

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: HOWTO: lightning fast Emacs on Linux multicore
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 08:41:37 +0100

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
writes:

> If you want to have fun, perhaps implementing a few
> emacs lisp library functions in parallel
> (multi-threaded), could speed things up.
>
> You'd have to find out what operations (particularly
> on big buffers) are slow and parallelizable.
>
> For example, replace-string could split its
> start/end range, (check the cuts for occurences) and
> then process each range in parallel.
>
> Similarly, replace-regexp and fontifying which is
> often thought to be slow, could benefit (taking the
> same precautions around the cuts).
>
> A lot of code that use iterative search
> (re-search-forward) could probably be upgraded,
> using a function (such as re-all-matches) that would
> perform the search in parallel on the different
> ranges.

I'm afraid you overestimate me. The stuff I mention
are Linux processes. If I put Emacs on core A,
everything from Emacs will be on core A. I don't know
how - if indeed possible - to put something out of
Emacs on some other core, and even less so to put
things on different cores and then to synchronize the
result after executing in parallel. But yeah - that
would be very cool indeed. And fast.

--
underground experts united