Re: HOWTO: lightning fast Emacs on Linux multicore

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: HOWTO: lightning fast Emacs on Linux multicore
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 22:58:44 +0100

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> That sounds like you want to turn off colors. There
> is always 'export TERM=vt100' to disable terminal
> colors everywhere if you like. :-)
>
> But I know we just chatted about sources.list where
> you want syntax coloring. So is this simply another
> case where you want color but you want a different
> color theme? I assume it is possible to set
> different colors for htop. I have never bothered to
> look.

I want colors, but not light cyan and light green. But
I don't rely on htop enough to change this. I believe
the red and yellow theme of top (the one in the
screenshot) is configured though.

> Just as a general statement other useful tools are
> iotop and nettop too.

If you are into the "top business" there is a large
article on this in Linux Magazine, a max 3-4 issues
back.

> But even when working almost entirely within emacs
> the emacs process itself will depending upon what
> you are doing eventually spawn children processes. I
> would want all of those to be able to make use of
> both cpu cores. Locking it all down to one cpu would
> be slower for me. You say you do compilation within
> emacs. Does this mean that emacs is sharing the
> single locked core with the compilation process too?
> That would be a prime example where I would want
> emacs and any make -j2 parallel compilation to share
> the cpu. Locking all of that to one cpu would
> definitely be worse there.

All this depends. I'm not sure Emacs-spawned processes
will run slower on the dedicated Emacs core.
Compilation in practise is compiling small changes all
the time, not huge recompilations. Even so, it isn't a
good example as this was never about doing batch jobs,
it is about increasing the interactive feel and touch
responsiveness of Emacs. And this actually happens.

--
underground experts united