Re: syntax highlighting

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: syntax highlighting
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:53:12 -0200

Em Sun, 16 Nov 2014 22:04:18 -0700
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> escreveu:

> However for font lock mode it takes an optional argument.
>
>   (global-font-lock-mode 0)
>
> The docs say:
>
>   (global-font-lock-mode &optional ARG)
>
>   Toggle Font-Lock mode in all buffers.
>   With prefix ARG, enable Global-Font-Lock mode if ARG is positive;
>   otherwise, disable it.  If called from Lisp, enable the mode if
>   ARG is omitted or nil.
>
> So giving it a 0 argument definitely turns it off and does not toggle
> it.

That docstring, and all the others describing minor mode
(de)activation commands are somewhat ambiguous to me, because, as in
math literature, "positive" could or not include the number '0',
depending on author's definition.  However, "strictly positive" always
excludes zero, while "non-negative" always includes it.  So, I think
the latter would be a more appropriate term, instead of simply
"positive".

Ps: Emacs developers, please, take this as a bug report ;-).

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;