Re: Is it possible to scroll smoothly in Emacs?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Is it possible to scroll smoothly in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 23:15:37 +0700

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 8:52 PM, J. David Boyd <dboyd2@mmm.com> wrote:

> I don't think I understand.  My emacs seems to scroll fairly smoothly to me.
> What exactly are we talking about when we say 'smooth scroll'?

Basically, the antithesis of doing whatever possible to ensure
acceptable performance when editing over a slow link.

In short: using non-integer line offsets (down to single pixels if
performance allows); remaining responsive during the scroll; and
ending the scroll with a deceleration such that the first two
derivatives of the scroll offset are zero at the end and the third
derivative stays continuous throughout. (Optionally, pressing Page
Down might also accelerate from 0 to the scroll speed according to the
same profile.)