Re: using "variables" (correct term?)

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: using "variables" (correct term?)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 22:31:40 +0100

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Perhaps what I'm really searching for here is just the correct term,
> because I don't think it's "variables."
>
> I'm trying to send out some form letters to various people, and am
> looking for a way to define something at the top, like:
>
>      #+RECIPIENT: Jane Doe
>
> which would automatically replace itself in the letter when referenced
> with "RECIPIENT". Is this called a "variable"? How would I go about
> doing it? I'm using org-mode, but the solution needn't be org-based.

Org somehow re-invented file local variables with its own syntax and
parsing. That's what most of these #+FOO: lines are. But they are not
arbitrary, so I don't think you can't use RECIPIENT (I didn't test).

OTOH, there is a feature called "macro" which are, again, specific to Org:
(info "(org) Macro replacement")

(they are not macros in the "keyboard macro" sense.)

HTH,

--
Nicolas Richard