Re: GNUs open PDF attachments: how to switch to PDF-Tools?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: GNUs open PDF attachments: how to switch to PDF-Tools?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:54:33 +0800

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> When I receive an email (using Gnus) with a PDF attachment, attempting
> to open it uses DocView despite my having PDF-Tools installed and
> working for all PDF opening I otherwise do. But search as I might, I
> can't find the variable or commmand that would allow me to change the
> program/function that is used for the PDF attachment. How can I change
> this setting to specify PDF-Tools for opening attached PDFs?

There's a thread on gnus.general about this -- lots of people are
having trouble getting Gnus to respect view-part-externally. I used to
only have trouble with PDFs, but I follow Gnus git, and now I have
trouble with most file formats. Lars identified weirdness in the
function `gnus-mime-view-part-externally', but no one's really tackled
it yet. I tried edebugging the function and following it a few times,
and it totally confused me.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/85646/