Re: Emacs Slowdown

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs Slowdown
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 11:41:09 +0000

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> writes:

>> - command-execute                                                3996  73%
>>  - call-interactively                                            3996  73%
>>   - apply                                                        3996  73%
>>    - ad-Advice-call-interactively                                3996  73%
>>     - #<subr call-interactively>                                 3993  73%
>>      - ido-find-file                                             2231  40%
>>       - ido-file-internal                                        2231  40%
>>        - ido-read-internal                                       2181  39%
>>         - apply                                                  2181  39%
>>          - ad-Advice-ido-read-internal                           2181  39%
>>           + #<compiled 0xce6205>
>

> Okay, I think that I have chased down the issue here (at least to a
> first approximation.
>
> Certainly the problem goes away without ido-ubiquitous.

Okay, I may have been premature here. I am still getting slowdown
anyway. Here is the top level of a longish profile (difficult to do
because Emacs is so slow that it's hard to type).

Slight worried that one of my own packages is in the list although, it's
does not appear to be called often. To my knowledge I didn't actually
drag-region during this period, so am confused about this. This emacs
hung eventually and had to be xkill'd.

- command-execute                                               20646  93%
 - call-interactively                                           20643  93%
  - mouse-drag-region                                           15591  70%
   - mouse-drag-track                                           15591  70%
    - eval                                                      15474  69%
     - track-mouse                                              15471  69%
      - funcall                                                 12410  55%
       - #<compiled 0x5d65117>                                  12410  55%
        - read-event                                            12379  55%
         - redisplay_internal (C function)                         62   0%
          + #<compiled 0x40a92d>                                   30   0%
            and                                                    19   0%
          - msb-menu-bar-update-buffers                            13   0%
           - msb--create-buffer-menu                               13   0%
            - msb--create-buffer-menu-2                            13   0%
               msb--mode-menu-cond                                 13   0%
    - mouse-set-point                                             110   0%
     - posn-set-point                                             110   0%
      - select-window                                             110   0%
       - run-hooks                                                110   0%
        - lentic-mode-buffer-list-update-hook                     110   0%
         - if                                                     110   0%
          - -map                                                  110   0%
           - mapcar                                               110   0%
            + #<lambda 0x2aa4c8f82b1b222c>                        110   0%
  + byte-code                                                    3163  14%
  + list                                                         1360   6%
  + Info-mouse-follow-nearest-node                                213   0%
  + Info-index                                                    113   0%
  + next-line                                                      45   0%
  + info                                                           33   0%
  + previous-line                                                  31   0%
  + save-buffer                                                    23   0%
  + Info-index-next                                                18   0%
  + newline                                                        13   0%
  + execute-extended-command                                       11   0%
  + mouse-set-point                                                 8   0%
  + move-end-of-line                                                5   0%
  + paredit-close-round                                             5   0%
  + indent-for-tab-command                                          4   0%
  + paredit-open-round                                              3   0%
    self-insert-command                                             1   0%
- ...