Re: Is it possible to use another GUI client and connect it to Emacs?

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Is it possible to use another GUI client and connect it to Emacs?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:13:46 +0200

>> For example, is it possible for me to write a package that connects Emacs
>> from Firefox and exchange messages, so that I can manipulate texts and
>> Firefox layout directly from headless Emacs server?
>
> Of course.  E.g. you can run "emacsclient --eval <exp>" and it will
> execute that expression and return the value.

The problem is how to call emacsclient from firefox.
You have for this to setup a new protocol in firefox, which is not
allowed by firefox, you can workaround this by creating yourself the new
protocol with this small library:

https://github.com/thierryvolpiatto/firefox-protocol

You can then use a bookmarklet to call your script using emacsclient.

I actually use this to show my firefox bookmark list in emacs and to
bookmark web pages in regular emacs bookmarks.

Hope that help.

--
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: