Re: <Multi_key> is undefined

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: <Multi_key> is undefined
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:49:12 +0800

jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> writes:

>> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>> Date: 04/08/15 23:00
>> Subject: Re: Re[2]: <Multi_key> is undefined
>
>> 1. Try starting emacs with unset XMODIFIERS and see if the problem goes away
>
> I have tried:
>
> XMODIFIERS="" emacs
>
> and:
>
> /usr/bin/env -u XMODIFIERS emacs
>
> And both of them get rid of the '<Multi_key> is undefined' emacs
> message, but that's it.  The letter with the accent, as it appears at
> the (k)console, firefox, sylpheed-claws client, etc... is not shown in
> emacs.
>
>> 2. Why/what do you use ibus for?
>
> Chinese.  Well, I try, as it seems to be quite broken in Linux Mint
> 17.  Either it is broken, or the OS input method has seen some
> changes.  emacs does have a Chinese input mode these days although it
> is really not nice to use.  I'm used to ibus and emacs and have
> written a lot of text easily that way, on a previous OS (Linux Mint
> 14, which I still boot when I have specifically Chinese text to
> write).  Now I would like to use a more recent OS, and add actual
> pinyin notation alongside Chinese hanzi.

I can't help with the compose key problem, as unsetting XMODIFIERS does
work for me, but I found ibus eventually unusable in Emacs. I've
switched to fcitx for system input, which works okay, but it doesn't
work in Emacs either! The Emacs package manager has an input method
called chinese-pyim which I'm finding quite good -- it takes a bit to
train, but after that it's very nice to use. Or do as I'm trying to do,
and learn the Wubi input method...

Sorry, no actual solution to your problem, but some alternatives...

Eric