Re: Speck (Spell checker for Emacs)

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Speck (Spell checker for Emacs)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 14:18:03 +0200

> Initially, speck was written without Hunspell support.  I added it as
> soon as the first executables for Windows appeared (that was quite some
> time before any other Emacs Spell Checker was able to talk to Hunspell).
> The customization variables are still from that early period, there was
> no "normal" installation procedure at that time IIRC.  Moreover, I never
> upgraded my spell engines since then.  So probably support is missing or
> incorrect in this area.

​What I wonder is why Speck is not so popular, it seems not so many people
use it or even know about it.  What do others use for spell checking?
Flyspell?  Personally, I have to admit that my experiences with Flyspell
are terrible as it is extremely slow and continuously stutters Emacs.  Even
`flyspell-lazy' does not help.  On the other hand, Speck seems to be
working truly (or almost truly) asynchronously and therefore I experience
no stutters or slowdowns.

By the way, do you have any recipe to teach Speck to spell check only text
in TeX files (i.e. skip commands)?

Regards,
Alexander