Re: Replace with CR

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Replace with CR
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 22:47:42 +0200

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <87si92tsof.fsf@kuiper.lan.informatimago.com>,
>  "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
>
>> Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

>> > There is (2 of them in fact) on my brand "new" IBM 101-key clicky
>> > keyboard :-)
>>
>> Indeed.  The world is becoming dumber.
>>

>> On real keyboard, the keys were labelled: CAR RET (for Carriage Return),
>> and LINE FEED:
>
> Where is the carriage on your computer? :)

Agreed, but this is entirely another can of worm. why are we using the
ASCIi control codes for carriage return, or line feed, to separate
lines? Shouldn't we use instead ASCII control code RS (Record Separator,
0x1e) or ISO-8859 (ECMA-048) control code NEL (Next Line, 0x85)?  or the
new unicode LS (Line Separator, 0x2028), or is it PS (Paragraph
Separator, 0x2029)?

At least in GUI, when you input some text in a text field, this problem
doesn't occur: you click on the "OK" button :-)

http://unicode.org/standard/reports/tr13/tr13-5.html
https://xkcd.com/927/