Re: Is it possible to transform text before feeding it to ispell?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Is it possible to transform text before feeding it to ispell?
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 17:24:50 +0200

On 2015-09-08, at 15:06, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> assume that I have an \(i\|hun\)spell dictionary in encoding X, and my
>> document is in encoding Y.  Does Emacs have any facility for translating
>> the text before feeding it to ispell, and translating it back when
>> presenting alternatives?
>
> AFAIK ispell does that automatically (if it is not configured
> incorrectly).  In particular, the encoding of dictionaries is part of
> their representation in Emacs - see `ispell-dictionary-base-alist'.

I see.  (I very seldom use a spill chucker, maybe I should start?)

> What's your problem in concrete?

People writing "ą" (a letter existing in Polish, but outside ASCII) as
"/a" (i.e., slash and a, sometimes seen in old Polish-language TeX
documents) or ""a" (i.e., quotation mark and a, which is used by LaTeX
package "babel").  Not a typical "encoding", since it uses an "escape
char", but sometimes used (unfortunately).

> Michael.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski