Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 15:35:34 -0400

> @Stefan, sharing elpa/ between at least emacs 24.5 and emacs 25.x (git
> master) does not work as the complied .elc files are not compatible between
> the two versions.

Indeed, I realize just after I hit "send" that there is already a known
bug in that area: if you share that directory between different Emacs
versions, you have to be careful to always install the packages with the
*older* Emacs version: a package installed with Emacs-NN will should
work fine on Emacsā‰„NN, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

        Stefan