Re: Cygwin emacs-x11 Won't Start During Windows Remote Desktop Session

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Cygwin emacs-x11 Won't Start During Windows Remote Desktop Session
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 21:01:26 +0300

> Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 10:50:00 -0700 (PDT)
> From: gtr289@gmail.com
>
> On my workplace PC running Windows 7 Enterprise I run cygwin-x as my x server
> (XWin.exe).  From a linux box running redhat, I run the fvwm window manager.
> I frequently run a windows remote desktop session from my pc at home, to get
> my workplace desktop. The x-session is completely stable. However, I cannot
> run cygwin's emacs-x11.  It starts up and keeps allocating memory (seen from
> the remote task-manager) until it core dumps after .5 Gig.
>
> Other cygwin-x apps start no problem, just as if I'm at work. Anyone know of
> a solution for this?

Does it start OK if you invoke it with the -Q switch?

If not, I suggest to ask on the Cygwin list first, and if no one has a
clue there, attach GDB to Emacs while it "keeps allocating memory",
and see what it does during that time.  The results of this are best
reported to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.

> Is there any run switch I can give emacs-x11 to debug what it's doing?   It
> ends with a Fatal Error 11: Segmentation Fault.  It does run in no-window
> mode with the -nw switch, but I'm hoping I can get full x support to work.

If starting with -Q makes the problem disappear, try --debug-init (and
without -Q), maybe you will see some error message that will give you
a hint.  If not, bisect your ~/.emacs init file until you find the
problematic part, and investigate it (or ask here).