no package.el emacs 24.5.1

From: Sanjeev Sariya
Subject: no package.el emacs 24.5.1
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 10:46:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Emacs community,

I'm new to emacs. I'm trying to add couple of bells and whistles to it.
I upgraded it's version to 24.5.1 Mac OSX

When I type emacs on terminal I get:

;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation.

;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,

;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.

There's no package.el present in

~/.emacs.d/

Without this nothing would load, and no M-x would work.

Please help.