Re: How to install several Emacs versions on the same system?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How to install several Emacs versions on the same system?
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 17:08:22 +0200

Oleh Krehel <ohwoeowho@gmail.com> writes:

>> I'm on GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1, but I'd like to have an older Emacs
>> installed, too.  What is the fastest way to achive that?  (I would
>> prefer to compile from source - I have the Git repository anyway,
>> though only shallow clone, but I can clone the whole thing, too.)
>
> I've soft-linked:
>
> - /usr/local/bin/emacs to /usr/local/bin/emacs-24.5
> - /usr/local/bin/newemacs to /home/oleh/git/gnu-emacs/src/emacs

Same for me except that "emacs" is the bleeding edge version and for the
current release I have to use emacs-24.5.

> This way I always have access to the newest git version with only
> "make" (no "make install").  And also to the latest stable version in
> case the git version breaks.

Too bad my ~/.emacs already contains code which won't work on 24.5.  But
that's a good thing.  If the HEAD breaks, I'm forced to bisect for the
last working commit, and then most of the effort of a good bug report is
done already. ;-)

> As for the Git repository, currently it's 742M in the compiled
> state. I'm sure the download amount is much less.

Yes, mine which contains some local branches and stuff is about 800 MB,
too.

Bye,
Tassilo