Re: How to install several Emacs versions on the same system?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to install several Emacs versions on the same system?
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 22:13:08 +0300

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
> Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 20:23:43 +0200
>
> I'm on GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1, but I'd like to have an older Emacs
> installed, too.  What is the fastest way to achive that?  (I would
> prefer to compile from source - I have the Git repository anyway, though
> only shallow clone, but I can clone the whole thing, too.)

Just do it, it's already supported.  When say "make install", 2
identical binaries are installed, one of them with the name
"emacs-X.Y.Z", the other called just "emacs".  The latter will be
overwritten on the next install, but the former stays.  And each
version has its own share/emacs/ subdirectory.

IOW, it should "just work".