RE: Global keymap not found

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Global keymap not found
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 08:12:30 -0700 (PDT)

> >   Where can I find the global keymap?
>
> You can use the `describe-variable' (C-h v) to get the value and
> documentation for a variable such as `global-map'.  However, the value
> of keymaps is not really meant for human consumption.  Instead, type
> `C-h b' to get the list of all keybindings which are available in the
> current buffer right now in the order of precedence.  Alternatively,
> `C-h m' describes all the current major-mode and all minor-modes active
> in the current buffer.  The description include also all the key
> bindings.

Helpful advice, and the right place to start.

> "the value of keymaps is not really meant for human consumption."

I don't think this "meant for" is intended by Emacs, but is just
an oversight.  In any case, I don't think it should be intended.

You can see the key bindings of a given keymap in a
human-readable form - the same form used by `C-h b', if you use
library `help-fns+.el'.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/help-fns%2b.el

The library provides command `describe-keymap', bound to
`C-h M-k'.  It prompts you for a keymap variable (such as
`global-map'), and then prints the map's key bindings, as
well as the documentation for the variable.