Re: vc-checkin (RCS) always. Problem with vc-checkin

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: vc-checkin (RCS) always. Problem with vc-checkin
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 00:03:03 +0200

() Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
() Mon, 07 Sep 2015 20:44:12 +0000

   > (vc-call-backend 'RCS 'checkin (list (buffer-file-name)) "")

   Hm it does not work work me.
   In a file which is under version control I
   used eval-last-sexp for
   (vc-call-backend 'RCS 'checkin (list (buffer-file-name)) "")

   and I obtained: the following error message

   ci: missing message for -m option

In lisp/vc/vc.el, the generic ‘checkin’ signature is documented
as (reproduced here):

 checkin (files rev comment)

 Commit changes in FILES to this backend.  REV is a historical artifact
 and should be ignored.  COMMENT is used as a check-in comment.
 The implementation should pass the value of vc-checkin-switches to
 the backend command.

(If you don't have Emacs Lisp installed as part of the Emacs
installation, stop reading, obtain that, then return here.)
Thus, the above invocation receives the parms:

 FILES -- (list (buffer-file-name))
 REV   -- ""

and COMMENT is unspecified.  Another approach, a bit higher in
abstraction, would be to use ‘vc-rcs-checkin’ directly.  Its
docstring in my old (2014-01-01) copy is not so useful, but the
*Help* buffer produced by ‘C-h f vc-rcs-checkin RET’ shows the
same signature described above; you can probably figure it out.

--
  (if you're human and you know it) read my lisp: