Re: Daily Diary Display in Emacs emacs24 24.4+1-5

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: Daily Diary Display in Emacs emacs24 24.4+1-5
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 16:11:09 -0600

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 22:44:11 +0200
Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com>
> writes:
>
> > I have emacs24, 24.4+1-5 on Debian 8.2 jessie.
> > In the past (e.g. emacs 23.4+1-4 on debian 7.x,
> > wheezy), I have had emacs re-display my diary every
> > day automatically. This capability does not seem to
> > work on this version of emacs.
> >
> > Relevant portions of my .emacs ...
>
> That code is very disorganized. Try to clean it up.
> Consider moving it all to file of its own, e.g.,
> my-calendar.el and then `load' it from .emacs.

Yeah, I know it's disorganized. I've been using emacs since version
19.x, and across that many version, it just metastasizes.

> You don't mention which part of the code doesn't work
> - as for me, I don't even have a "system-is-desktop"
> function, which is the first line of your code - I'm
> on

Sorry about that. "system-is-desktop" is a function local to my network
which looks at the host name, and returns t or nil depending on whether
I consider the computer a desktop machine or a server.

I don't think it's a matter of the current code not working (as far as I
know). It's a matter what used to work no longer does so. Since I have
not changed my code going from 23 to 24, that suggests the problem is
somewhere in emacs.

>     GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
>     Version 3.14.5) of 2015-03-07 on trouble, modified
>     by Debian
>
> but it might be a package thing rather.
>
> Anyway, what is it that you want to happen? You write
> "I have had emacs re-display my diary every day
> automatically." Literally, that sounds like you have
> Emacs on 24/7 and you want it to automatically update
> the diary every 24 hours.

Exactly. I leave my desktops on 24/7 whenever I can.

> But more likely (since you
> mention "desktop") you want Emacs to bring up the
> diary on startup. Or? Which is it?
>
> In general, instead relying on such wild-west code, do
> what you want interactively, with M-x (and shortcuts),
> then, when you get it to work, replicate what you just
> did in code. It shouldn't be like several pages!

I can get it to do what I want manually. M-x diary does it. I suspect
there's a hook in there somewhere to which I should be adding some code
which ultimately calls diary.

What I don't know is, what used to tell emacs to run diary every night?
That is what is no longer working.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV