Re: Daily Diary Display in Emacs emacs24 24.4+1-5

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: Daily Diary Display in Emacs emacs24 24.4+1-5
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 16:44:42 -0600

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 11:48:28 -0600
Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:24:09 -0600
> Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:
>
> > I have emacs24, 24.4+1-5 on Debian 8.2 jessie. In the past (e.g.
> > emacs 23.4+1-4 on debian 7.x, wheezy), I have had emacs re-display
> > my diary every day automatically. This capability does not seem to
> > work on this version of emacs.
>
> I *may* have a solution.

>         (add-hook 'diary-hook 'appt-activate)
>
> I made that change yesterday and evaluated it. It appears this morning
> to have worked. If it continues to work correctly, I will call it
> good.

No, that is not the solution. For one thing, it toggles appt-activate
every time diary-hook is called, i.e. every time the diary is
displayed. Not what I want.

Also, it appears to do something else. You should be able to move
point in the calendar to a day other than today's date, and hit d, and
get a display in the diary starting with the date where point
is. Somehow, that code shuts that off, and every time you hit d, emacs
display a diary beginning with today's date. Also not what I want.

I now have

      (appt-activate 1) ; http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AppointmentMode

in my .emacs. We will see what that does.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV