SOLVED - Re: error when trying to add a new rss feed

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: SOLVED - Re: error when trying to add a new rss feed
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 07:48:33 +0000

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I'm trying to install a new rss feed in gnus, but am consistently
> getting this error message -
>
> (error "www.syndic8.com/80 Name or service not known") in open-network-stream
>
> How can I get rid of this so that I can add a new feed please?

I've found the solution to all of this whilst tracking down a more
up-to-date "atom2rss.xsl", there isn't one! The code itself is four
years old and seems to be unmaintained, and the web page where its
offered hasn't been updated since March 2009!

Anyway whilst googling for a source page I just happened to see
"xsltproc" in the description, and it turns out that it wasn't installed
on my system. A quick installation later and a restart of emacs and
gnus, and everything is working nicely. All rss feeds being downloaded,
even ones that I haven't been able to get for about a month, and I can
add rss feeds, so now everything is working nicely(TM).

Thanks all
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.1