Re: How to test if the current line contains only white-space?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to test if the current line contains only white-space?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 03:02:08 +0100

Rolf Ade <rolf@pointsman.de> writes:

> Well, yeah. If you start digging a bit more into
> emacs lisp programming, as I do atm, a lot of
> details showing up. While I enjoy that emacs, the
> editor, mostly do The Right Thing depending on the
> "context" (e.g mode of the buffer) it makes me
> nervous that within emacs, the programming
> enviroment, the effect of my elisp code often
> depends on settings and circumstances that are not
> under my (the programmer) control. (And more
> important I may not know about. The one I know about
> I'm able to handle.)
>
> In the current, very simple case ("How to test if
> the current line contains only white-space?")
> I learned the difference between looking-at and
> looking-at-p. At some stage I used
> beginning-of-line-text and quickly realized that the
> result of that defun depends on adaptive-fill-mode
> being on or off. And so on.

That doesn't sound like a good feeling and to track
such influences is not a straightforward task.
But this concern never bothered me and I can't recall
ever being punished for not being concerned, either,
so if you are lucky (?) you are not in any trouble,
you are just worried because potentially there could
be trouble.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573