Re: Need "xemacs/init.el" => "emacs/init.el" help

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Need "xemacs/init.el" => "emacs/init.el" help
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:46:05 +0100

Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:

> ; Personal emacs mods of Tom Browder (require
> 'package) (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" .
> "http://melpa.org/packages/";)) ; packages installed
> via M-x list-packages: ; perl6-mode (setq-default
> major-mode 'text-mode) (set-default 'truncate-lines t)
> (setq-default fill-column 70) (global-set-key [f6]
> 'fill-paragraph) ; prefer cperl for Perl 5 (defalias
> 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode)
>
> So far, and only using a text buffer, the truncate
> lines t seems to work, but I can't get any such line
> to wrap with the "fill-paragraph" function.
>
> I have read about the init.el entries not normally
> affecting modes already loaded without special lisp
> code. Is that what may be happening in my case?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

OK, first F6 is a *very bad* key for that! Try M-q
which is the default keystroke for `fill-paragraph'.

Second, your code should work what I can see!

Try starting Emacs like this:

    $ emacs -Q

Then find your init file and evaluate only this part:

    (global-set-key [f6] #'fill-paragraph)

Last, hit F6. Still no luck?

Also, you do this in X, right? Either in a terminal
emulator (e.g., xterm) with -nw or the GUI Emacs
(normal invocation these days) and F6 should be fine.
In a Linux VT tho without special attention F6 doesn't
work. And the reason it hasn't received such attention
is, again, it is a bad key (too distant: out of hand
touch type position).

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573