Re: on ``An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp''

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: on ``An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp''
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 21:45:05 +0100

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Well, if it's in that package, then that's all you
> need. If it isn't then you have to ask "What else
> is missing?"

I found this after `M-x info RET' and then a search
for "Lisp". It is the second hit (right after "The
Emacs Lisp Reference Manual").

    An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp

    This is an ‘Introduction to Programming in Emacs
    Lisp’, for people who are not programmers.

Ha - "for people who are not programmers" - that means
programmers should read it.

> In that case it's worth building Emacs from source
> so you get everything.

One of the great benefits with a modern Linux system
is that you don't have to do it. The Debian
repositories which have tens of thousands of software
components are also the reason for the plethora of
distributions that are based on Debian: the Ubuntus,
Knoppix, and many more. Or actually people's itchy
fingers are the reasons for the proliferation itself,
but the repositories are the reason it is all
Debian based.

So while it is a good thing building from source is
a possibility, I say it is only a big step better than
the Windows installers, which were horrible, and there
is no reason that I can see not just to use good old
aptitude to do the job with no web browser or
directories to bounce around in involved.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573