Re: GNUS gnus-group-split .. my sorting is bad.

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: GNUS gnus-group-split .. my sorting is bad.
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 01:06:42 +0100

Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> writes:

> I have a GNUS related question on mail-splitting.

It isn't "GNUS" anymore but Gnus.

> There are many lists I follow, and with the sorting
> method I picked at some time

Don't do that with mailing lists directly: do that
with Gmane! This is the exact intended purpose of
Gmane and it works *great* - it is incomparably better
than splitting in every respect.

So do:

    (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))

If you like, you can have other NNTP servers (e.g.,
Usenet with nntp.aioe.org) and mail (nnml) as well:

    (require 'gnus-namazu)
    (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "" (nnir-search-engine namazu))
                                          (nntp "nntp.aioe.org")
                                          (nntp "news.gwene.org")
                                          (nntp "news.gnus.org")
                                          ))

> I now get email which is CC'ed or in any other way
> directed to more than one list I follow into one
> list folder only. This is not what I want. I think
> my way to think about sorting mail could be
> challenged with some input from others.

When you have Gmane up and your previous lists working
as newsgroups, you can unsubscribe to them. If there
are 70+ that should be a challenge in itself. Some you
will be unable to unsubscribe to. Get a new mail
account, perhaps...

But even if you do some people will still send you Cc
mails when they respond to your Gmane posts!

So ironically, here splitting can be put to good use!
You can create a group "mail.ml-ooa" (mail list out-
of-action) and then:

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(
        ("mail.ml-ooa"